HOW TO WEAR BLACK
- September, 2017
- 2 Comments
With Autumn and Halloween on their way. At this time of year our thoughts turn to black. The colour black has many associations; some positive and many negative.
Here are just a few:
the clergy, the judiciary, the police force
witchcraft, the Victorian era
German fascism, Islamic extremism
Coco Chanel, Aubrey Hepburn, Whistler’s Mother
The colour black represents, strength, seriousness, power, and authority. Black is chic, elegant, mysterious and sexy. It conveys formality and prestige. The colour black can evoke strong emotions and too much black can be overwhelming. Black is a visually slimming colour for clothing.
This month I have worked with two clients who believed that they couldn’t wear black. In reality we can all wear black, but for many of us it is not one of our best colours.
Each of these clients has dark, bright colouring – meaning black is one of their very best colours! Now both have shopped for black, enjoyed compliments for wearing black and are looking great in black.
But what about the rest of us?
While black looks great on people with stronger natural colouring, it does nothing for those of us with warmer and more subtle colouring. If I wear black close to my face, it makes me look ill – that’s because it totally overwhelms my natural pigmentation making me look washed out and grey.
Top tips to wear black successfully:
- Only wear your best colours closest to your face
- Wear black close to your face if you have stronger, darker or brighter natural pigmentation.
- If black is not one of your best colours, but you’re going to wear it anyway – use make-up, jewellery, glasses and/or scarves in your best colours to soften the black
- Vary the fabrics and textures in all black outfits to add interest and avoid looking dowdy
- On the fabric note, make sure the fabric selection is season appropriate. A black wool dress will look fabulous in the Autumn/Winter, but silk, linen and or cotton are more comfortable during the warmer months.
But I don’t know what my best colours are?
Find out if you are best in black or better in french navy or pewter
Book your colour consultation now 07801 337586 or email email@example.com